October 14, 2011
You are out of whack. You beat yourself up for not getting it all done. Your family never sees you. You rarely get time for yourself, or (lord forbid!) exercise.
Work-Life Balance is actually not balancing … it is juggling. Lots of stuff drops here and there.
The cause of most people’s out-of-balance lives is self-imposed.
Getting at peace with yourself on this one takes some reframing.
So, let go of perfection, or even getting close to perfection. It sounds counterproductive, but set your expectations a little lower.
That’s right. Aim lower.
In most cases, this is NOT compromising your standards, but rather bringing them back into reality. Most of us have high expectations and quickly wrap ourselves around the proverbial axle.
Here are some reminders that follow your challenge for resetting your expectations.
- Ask yourself what you would define as your work-life balance.
- Assess where your expectations are for work-life balance.
- What are the priorities of any given week? Use this week for starters.
- Practice your breathing. It provides a physiological method for calming your body. Really … (I actually use a travelling post-it that says BREATHE to remind me.)
- Manage your environment. Excape to the library or coffeehouse occasionally to work or just to clear your head.
- Use your friends or networking groups to discuss others’ methods.
- Forgive yourself for not doing it all. Let it go.