October 2, 2013
You believe that since you do not have a powerful title, or wield huge amounts of resources, you must not have much power.
Corollary: You believe that since you DO have a powerful title, or wield huge amounts of resources, you must have power.
- Legitimate – This comes from the belief that a person has the formal right to make demands, and to expect compliance and obedience from others.
- Reward – This results from one person’s ability to compensate another for compliance.
- Expert – This is based on a person’s superior skill and knowledge.
- Referent – This is the result of a person’s perceived attractiveness, worthiness, and right to respect from others.
- Coercive – This comes from the belief that a person can punish others for noncompliance.
If you’re aware of these sources of power, you can…
- Better understand why you’re influenced by someone, and decide whether you want to accept the base of power being used.
- Recognize your own sources of power.
- Build your leadership skills by using and developing your own sources of power, appropriately, and for best effect.
– Thanks to MindTools and See more