“The Leadership Around Here Stinks”
September 02, 2009
I think I already said it…”The leadership around here stinks.” You sometimes feel more competent than your boss. Or maybe than the higher-up’s?
Okay, you ARE at this job by choice. (I know…not realistic to leave this one to find another one.)
Look at your plan as two-fold:
- Stay sane
- Try to make things a little better (teensy tiny bit …?) Use the ASK & ALIGN technique
1. Stay Sane
“It’s not what happens to us. It’s what we make of what happens to us.”
No one actually DRIVES you crazy. YOU drive you crazy.
“Please ……. remain calm…..” (said with an authoritative broadcast voice).
Take the mental approach that you cannot change others. Stop trying, and you’ll find that you are going with the flow more than trying to paddle upstream.
2. Make Things Better
A little leverage goes a long way. Build some relationship with the leadership by asking key questions. Here’s where it gets actionable.
- ASK a question.
– Find out what is important to your boss or
– Ask what you can do to get more feedback from him or
– Discover what his biggest challenge is and where you can fit in to help.
- ALIGN an action.
– Do something for him that he values or
– Communicate more directly (I recommend Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott) or
– Err on the side of action – do something productive that will help his workload.
Takes a little guts, I know.