September 02, 2008
SITUATION – Daily events are driving YOU, rather than the other way around.
TRY THIS –
The 12 Tricks of Time Management
- Schedule time in your planner to plan.
- Schedule time in your planner to purge. (about once a month)
- Schedule time in your planner for personal productivity. (see Morning Kick-start)
- If you have an assistant: jot down all the attributes of a terrific assistant, then use that as a conversation piece for using her more effectively.
- Know the difference between important and urgent. Be willing to get interrupted for urgent and important, but not for urgent and unimportant.
- Use a time management tool because it works for you, not because it looks like a cool gadget.
- Know what works for you.
- Define 3 zones in your workplace. (see 3 Zones)
- Use a method for keeping others out of your office (red flag or “in conference”) during selected time slots (and be largely available the rest of the time).
- Remember that the key to your management of time is discipline and how you schedule. (See Increasing Productivity through States of Mind)
- Know how to protect your plan by saying “no” when appropriate.
- Accept that your plan will be upheaved occasionally.